|Job Title:||Senior Consultant (Edinburgh)|
|Purpose of Job:||To contribute to the work of the company across the UK, and specifically managing projects in Scotland, raising awareness of Rocket Science, and contributing to high quality outputs and solutions that meet the needs of our clients.|
|Location:||Rocket Science’s Edinburgh office (EH3)|
|Accountable to:||Principal Consultant|
|Salary Scale:||£28,000 – £32,000 (plus benefits and 25 days’ annual leave)|
Starting salary will be dependent on experience.
|Hours:||Full time (37.5 hour week) – some unsocial hours may be required from time to time|
Overview of the Role
Rocket Science, established in 2001, exists to improve the quality and performance of services for the public. We have a particular commitment to helping disadvantaged individuals, families and communities enhance the quality of their lives, working as independent advisers, researchers, evaluators, facilitators, trainers and mediators. We specialise in the fields of employability, education and skills, poverty, disadvantage and welfare. health, social care and wellbeing, charities, third sector and wellbeing. Our services go beyond consultancy to include organisational and partnership development, as well as acting as evaluation partners and managing agents for a number of grant programmes.
Key areas of responsibility
We are looking to appoint a Senior Consultant in our Edinburgh office. This role is ideal for someone with 3 or more years’ experience in consultancy, public service or similar experience. The role includes day-to-day project management as well as research and analysis for our various projects.
A number of our staff have particular areas of expertise – such as cost-benefit analysis, or professional training, that they contribute to projects across the company. Contribution of specialist skills and experience to contracts across the UK is desirable but not necessary.
- Manage a range of contracts – usually responsible to a Project Director – including the meeting of milestones, distributing work across company staff as needed and maintaining close working relationships with clients
- Lead or contribute to a range of consultancy projects and tasks, including surveys/consultations, face-to-face interviewing, focus group facilitation and analysis
- Undertake research/policy work including: obtaining and interpreting information from paper and electronic sources; monitoring government (central/regional/local and agencies), think tanks, research institutions and practitioners; analysing and interpreting policy, legislation, statistics and other information; identifying good practice; forecasting trends and future developments
- Produce proposals, reports and papers in appealing and appropriate forms which may include briefings, newsletters, articles, and blogs
- Maintain an awareness of policy issues in the UK (and where appropriate internationally) and keep up to date with policy and legislative changes which will influence Rocket Science’s areas of interest
- Contribute to the development of ideas, products and services on behalf of Rocket Science and/or its clients
- Build and sustain Rocket Science customer relationships within public, private and third sector organisations as required
- Represent and promote Rocket Science in the market and to external agencies.
- Take advantage of training/personal development opportunities as necessary in order to keep abreast of new technology and key subject areas
- Be active in sourcing and sharing relevant information with colleagues and clients
- Report to other Project Managers as required and be administratively self-servicing
- Undertake any other duties and tasks appropriate to the post as may be required from time to time.
Skills and Experience
A Rocket Science Senior Consultant should be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of managing projects within timescales and on budget in the private, public and/or voluntary/community sectors
- Ability to develop close and trusted working relationships with a wide range of current and potential clients
- Ability to develop ideas and solutions which respond to recognised client needs, and produce and present winning proposals
- Ability to work independently and initiate, plan and prioritise workloads and meet individual deadlines
- A successful track record and expertise in one or more of the following specialisms:
- Employability, education and skills
- Poverty, disadvantage and welfare
- Health, social care and wellbeing
- Charities, third sector and civil society
…and in one or more of the following services
- Research, consultation and analysis
- Organisational and partnership development
- Grant and Fund Management
- Evaluation and Impact Measurement.
- Ability in analysing, interpreting and responding to government policy
- Ability to research, track, analyse and present information in ways that are appropriate to the task
- Effective communication using a variety of methods such as facilitation, presentation, contribution to meetings (internal and external), interviews (telephone and face-to-face) and focus groups
- Understanding of how to use IT effectively and appreciate the potential of IT-based solutions and tools to enhance services to clients.
The way we work
Our values guide the way we work and the way we develop as a company. Rocket Science consultants should behave in ways that are consistent with these values.
- Integrity. One of our greatest values to clients is their confidence in our integrity in all our dealings with them and with those that they work with.
- Making a difference. We have a strong commitment to making a real difference in everything we do; helping clients and other practitioners to achieve their objectives and build their own capacity for excellence.
- Social justice. We work with clients who are committed to contributing to social justice throughout society by supporting the most disadvantaged people to have positive and satisfying life chances through guidance, information, sharing learning and creating access to sustainable and satisfying work.
- Learning and sharing. We are an innovative and creative company with a strong commitment to learning and developing new approaches and sharing these generously with our clients.
- Fun: We really enjoy working together and working with clients we respect. We know we work best when we enjoy what we do.
- Empowering: We are committed to creating the right conditions for transferring skills and knowledge within Rocket Science and to clients and communities, creating lasting value for our clients and developing our own people.
To apply for the job
To apply for the role, please submit a copy of your current CV and a covering letter (maximum 500 words) explaining how your experience makes you suitable for this role and what you will bring to the company to Clare Hammond at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your full contact details and mention where you found out about the vacancy. Please also include the names of two referees, including, if applicable, your most recent or last employer. Please note that referees will not be approached without your prior knowledge, and only following a successful application and interview.
Closing date for applications: 14th of July at noon
We plan to hold interviews for shortlisted candidates on Thursday 20th of July. If you are unable to make this interview date please indicate in your cover letter. This will not affect whether you are shortlisted for interview. Those who are shortlisted for interview will be informed on Monday 17th of July.
If you have any questions about the role, please call Clare Hammond on 0131 226 4949 or email email@example.com If you have questions between 10th and 14th of July please contact Richard Scothorne at Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org or 0131 226 4949.
Rocket Science operates an equal opportunities policy and will appoint solely on the basis of the applicant’s ability to do the job in question. We do not discriminate with reference to age, gender, sexual orientation, race, colour, religion, marital status or disability, nor will such factors play any part in decisions on appointment or selection.